Finally! It’s quilted, it’s squared up, it’s finished. And if it were only two centimeters wider, it wouldn’t have fitted the wall in my hallway between the doors.
Finished size is 111 x 142 cms. The pattern comes from the Fall 2013 issue of Burda Patchwork Quilts & Applizieren and is designed by Evelyn Zuber (original title ‘Mother Earth’).
It’s entirely hand pieced using the English paper piecing method, the center stars in each wheel are hand quilted as well as the rust and grey pentagons in the two big wheels. The binding was machine stitched to the front and hand sewn to the back.
Whoo-hoo, the Wheels top is finished! 🍸 🙂
That was the easy part. Now it needs some quilting and a binding. I’ve already got an idea about both. But before I start I will go for a couple of finishes – next stop UFO lottery. 🙂
The last wheel and the two remaining border units are finished. More soon. 🙂
Border units for left and bottom
Erratum: The number of the pentagons C is six, not five. There’s one more at the bottom, I’ve fixed it now.
Wheel XVII – final version
No sewing on Saturday, but yesterday I chose and cut the fabrics for the border units. Most of the pieces will only be slightly visible after the binding has been attached. I wonder if some pieces will be needed at all because they are beyond the sewing line in the pattern. We’ll see.
Wheel IV: I’ve added a pentagon each at the left and bottom as well as two pentagons and a narrow diamond in the top right corner, all made from the striped teal fabric.
Wheel II: Four pentagons made from blue fabric with a bamboo leaf pattern are already at the bottom and right of the wheel, although you can also use fabrics similar to those in wheels VI and II (yellow and orange in my project). I used the same blue fabric for the border unit (five pentagons) and added two narrow diamonds made from the light blue of the stars.
Wheel IX: I thought this one could use a little colour and made three pentagons and a triangle from some purple and yellow fabric I pulled out of my Pile of Uglies. Never thought I would use this one, but it works in this place.
Bottom between wheels XV, XVI and XVIII: Two pentagons and two diamonds from the rusty red fabric I’ve already used for the stars in wheel XIV.
Wheel XIV: Two pentagons from the rosewood fabric and four pentagons and a diamond from the pink bamboo leaf pattern already used in this wheel.
Which leaves me with only one more wheel to make (XVII in the bottom left corner) plus two more border units. 🙂
I’m heading towards the final lap of this project now. Yesterday I finished wheels V, XIX and XX so that leaves me with only wheel XVII and some border units to make. 🍸 🙂
I’ve still got some things on my list for this week, so I’ll continue on the weekend.
Just finished this morning. Almost had to stick my rear bumper into the wardrobe to get this shot. 😀
I have also chosen the fabrics for the gaps at the top, left and bottom and cut the pieces. Finding the right fabrics is becoming a little tricky now. I’m not quite sure about the bottom left corner, maybe something light like beige? After that, there will be only some border units left. I’ve already got an idea about some of them, hope I’ll find the right fabrics.
The yellow one is complete. It went faster than I had thought it would, so there was still some time left to make one of the border units as well for which I recycled the second half of the former center pentagons from wheel XI.
And – tada! – the top is also sewn together.
Wheels I, II, III, IV, VI and VII
Just a short post today. I was working on wheels I (red) and VI (yellow) simultaneously. Wheel VI will still take a couple of days, but I hope I’ll be able to show you more next weekend.
You may have wondered about the missing weekend post. Well, I was busy. Among other things, I have been designing a logo for my Tulip Lover blog. It’s going to be a cross stitch panel which is already on the way. One of the butterflies was also on the list. And I’ve tried – unsuccessfully, alas – to give a new look to one of my German photoblogs.
The finishing of Wheel II got slightly delayed by all those activities so I took the pieces along for a little sewing during my lunch break. Because of a little accident – I sewed the first one on upside down – I didn’t quite finish it. But now it’s done.
Wheels II, III, IV and VII
I’ve also done some basting on the remaining wheels I and IV as templates lasted and have already joined the patches. The picture doesn’t do the colours justice here.
Wheels I and VI (work in progress)
I’ve now decided on the colours for wheels I, II, VI and VII – red, blue, yellow and green. The fabrics are chosen, cut and ready to be basted.
Wheel VII – the green one – is already finished. I need to stitch all the single triangles and other pieces in place and will then be able to join wheels VII, III and IV.
Wheels VII, III and IV pinned in place
Patches for wheels I, II and VI waiting to be basted