And another one from the UFO Lottery – a panel turned into a cushion cover.
The red frame around the center, made from the darkest red, called for some contrast. There was a black scrap on the table that was just the right size for a thin accent border.
Instead of a zipper closure I went for a hotel closure. I was so proud of myself when I managed to get that part instantly right. So off I went to the sewing machine. What I hadn’t noticed at the time was that I had the front pinned on inside out. Misfortune never sleeps.
My friend Jack (the ripper) went to work and I pinned everything anew – once more with a feeling.
A description of how I made the panel is here.
The next finished piece is Fossil Friends.
You may have recognised the Crinoid panel (top left) which is my blog icon. I was planning to use it together with the Ammonite panel (bottom right) for some time already but had no idea how to finish the piece. After a rummage through my stash I came up with coral and ammonite prints. A leftover of light green Fossil Ferns fabric was perfect for the barnacles. But what about the ammonite print as I already had an ammonite panel? My sister suggested starfish. The internet had what I needed (find the free starfish pattern – in German – here.) It’s hard to see in the picture but I used four different colours of thread for the hemming, matching the individual fabrics in each corner. Finished size is 54 x 51 cms.
Here’s another one from the UFO Lottery, Uglies. A title lovingly created for a piece made from not so beautiful or just the ‘wrong’ kind of colour fabrics.
Finished size is 58 x 100 cms.
Some of the original blocks, cut up and with added black strips
I played around with a couple of design options.
Another finish from the UFO Lottery, with two more to come and lots of stuff in the making, working on projects every spare minute.
It’s named Impro-Blocks. I had already cut some fabrics for something very different. Didn’t work, so I had to improvise a little to make something else.
Finished size 47 x 56 cms
This project was drawn from the UFO Lottery four years ago. I was planning to finish it using a dark blue piece of silk from my stash. Somehow I never got that far. Recently I was washing the turquoise flea market fabric I bought together with the box of embroidery floss in May. Something struck me – or was it someone in the shape of Dave the Muse? Anyway, I cut the border strips and the backing, sewed on the borders, sandwiched everything and used my favorite method of hemming for finishing. Yet properly unnamed, size is 62 x 92 cms.
And another one off the list – a new cushion cover made from a machine embroidery sample.
Made to match the Lines & Dots cushion cover. The unbleached denim was a lucky find, I was cutting some base fabrics for another project and it appeared in the pile of fabrics I was going to use. For the machine embroidery I used a piece of decorator’s fabric from a sample book.
Another finish from the UFO Lottery – the turquoise winter sweater.
Years ago I found a pattern by Magdalena Neuner in a magazine. Later at a closing down sale I bought their whole amount of Gedifra’s Arica yarn (colour #2483) – twenty balls (70 % New Wool, 20 % Nylon microfiber, 10 % Acrylic), a real bargain, with this project in mind. I used a total of eleven balls (550 grams).
I followed the pattern only loosely, just referring to the size and the way the sweater was knit – front and back in one piece with the arms attached later.
The yarn called for the heavy artillery. Knitting in rows, I used 9 mm circulars. With the first part done it was almost like sitting under a warm blanket. 🙂
After knitting the front up to where the increase for the arms should be, I put the project aside for a while. I wanted to continue later but couldn’t find the pattern again which I had always put into the yarn bag. Much later it reappered in the knitting pattern folder. Don’t ask me how it got there.
If I had to make this again I certainly would use less stitches per row. When wearing it, I’m looking a little like a cookie monster. 😉 But it’s soft and cozy and perfect for an evening in front of the tv.
It was a little hard to get a good shot of my next UFO Lottery finish, he wouldn’t hold still –
You may have noticed I’ve skipped projects #22 and #23 from the UFO Lottery. Those two were abandoned – a knitted doll and a textile art panel. I didn’t take any pictures before I frogged and un-sewed them.
So here’s #24 – Dennis. Another Günni doll finished at last.
And off he rides again, testing every surface in the place –
Two birds with one stone – a finished triangular scarf from the UFO Lottery’s second round. This is the last scarf I’m bothering you with. 🙂
Knit with 3 mm needles following a pattern I found on Ravelry, great for using up those leftover yarns from other projects. This one was almost finished except for the pistacchio border. I wanted to use a contrasting yarn but didn’t have anything in my stash I could use. Until I knit the socks for my sister.
Very bad lighting conditions yesterday noon, so I had to use a flash. Blue wooden hanger hand painted by me.
– Lang Jawoll Magic Superwash in red/orange/rust (#84.0063), 25 grams
– Pro Lana Meine Wolle Pro Socks Smaragd in cream/beige/gray (#161), 49 grams (I doubt if it was the proper band the ball came with – ‘Smaragd’ meaning ’emerald’ in English)
– H&W Comfort Sockenwolle uni in pistacchio green (#203.128), a scrap
The UFO Lottery continues and one more of my infamous un-quilts is here – Skipping Stones.
A piece inspired by a quilt I found in the Spring 2015 issue of Burda Patchwork (Hüpfende Steine by Emma Coutancier). Read more about the start of the project here and how I messed it up here.
I was thinking of quilting but couldn’t decide upon a pattern so I left it unquilted. Finished size is 58 x 71 cms.