Fixed! Friday 19

Welcome to the next part of Fixed! Friday.

It’s been a short working week for me as yesterday was a holiday (Ascension Day) and since Monday I’ve been working two hours less per day. This will be the case until my holiday break (soon, I hope – as soon as I find someone to fill in for two or three weeks – tricky). I’m looking forward to it because I’m dealing with some health issues at the moment. Nothing serious, but nasty, so I hope the two extra hours are helping to recover a little.

The new computer at work still needs a little ‘education’ but it seems that at least the new dictation module is working which will save a lot of time.

Today’s piece is not actually a patchwork piece as such. It’s called

Unterm Mikroskop (Under the microscope)

While cutting fabrics for another project I noticed that a lot of the fabrics in my stash had a pattern like they appear in samples under the microscope – textures, cells, crystals. I made a little display from some of them.

reverse appliqué, sashiko quilting

Sewn from cotton fabrics using the reverse appliqué technique, with some added fancy knitting yarns, sashiko quilted with multicoloured polyester quilting thread (no batting). Made between June and September 2004, size is 42 x 42 cms, time spent making was 24’50 hours.

details

Next week on Fixed! Friday: Etruria antica

Fixed! Friday 10

Welcome to the next part of Fixed! Friday.

Today I almost went straight home after work, just a little shopping at the local delicatessen (aka Aldi) for the weekend. I’ve still got a little bit of sewing to do because I’m expecting a ‘customer’ on the weekend.

To get in the mood for this week’s project, I’ve put on a collection of songs called The Sound of Africa.

African Sashiko

The plan was this: Make a project of various African-style strips. After a while I gave this up because I didn’t like the design anymore. I took some of the strips apart and made small panels which I appliquéd onto backing fabrics. I combined them with various other stuff – on this one I used some Japanese sashiko quilting found in Kumiko Sudo’s Fabled Flowers. (Which reminds me – some great projects I wanted to do from that one, too.)

the panel made from the strips

Made between July and August 2003, this piece measures 51,5 x 64 cms. The panel is made of 120 pieces. Completing the project took 16’15 hours. The fabrics are cottons and a cotton/polyester blend for the back (a lighter green than the front), and I used perle cotton for the sashiko and hemming.

sashiko ‘quilting’

If you look closely, you might notice I used the green fabric from the wrong side. A little accident while cutting the fabric, as it sometimes happens. 🙂

block

Next week on Fixed! Friday: Out Of Africa IV