Once more with a feeling

And another one from the UFO Lottery – a panel turned into a cushion cover.

The red frame around the center, made from the darkest red, called for some contrast. There was a black scrap on the table that was just the right size for a thin accent border.

Instead of a zipper closure I went for a hotel closure. I was so proud of myself when I managed to get that part instantly right. So off I went to the sewing machine. What I hadn’t noticed at the time was that I had the front pinned on inside out. Misfortune never sleeps.

My friend Jack (the ripper) went to work and I pinned everything anew – once more with a feeling.

A description of how I made the panel is here.

 

Two new quilt tops

An amazing amount of pieces came out of the scraps I cut up, so I decided not to use everything in one piece.


Electric Blue

For a change, I’m going to quilt them.

Uglies

Here’s another one from the UFO Lottery, Uglies. A title lovingly created for a piece made from not so beautiful or just the ‘wrong’ kind of colour fabrics.

Finished size is 58 x 100 cms.

Some of the original blocks, cut up and with added black strips

I played around with a couple of design options.

Impro-Blocks

Another finish from the UFO Lottery, with two more to come and lots of stuff in the making, working on projects every spare minute.

It’s named Impro-Blocks. I had already cut some fabrics for something very different. Didn’t work, so I had to improvise a little to make something else.

Finished size 47 x 56 cms

Small panel

Leftover scraps from my Lumos! project went into this small project. The squares were originally part of the now abandoned Strata series.

I fused scraps to a background fabric and machine sewed some lines across them (hand sewing was done on the red square).

Finished back in February, size 18 x 43 cms

Not quite square

Sometimes things don’t work out the way you planned. After testing the pattern from Patchwork Professional and thinking of alternative cuts, I pulled out some of my precious Lonni Rossi designed fabrics and went to work. I got this –

Alas, all of the squares became a little ‘unsquare’. They’re even different sizes despite the same number of strips.

So the quilt isn’t going to be.

I’ll have to think about something else. Cushion covers, perhaps? No one is going to notice they’re not square once they sit on the sofa. 😀

Cuts: | |

Cuts: ) (

Cuts: / \

Cuts: < >

I found solace in starting a hand sewing project. My sister insisted on suggested a Christmas door hanging with Christmas tree, candles, baubles, presents beneath. The ultimate kitsch. (Un)fortunately I don’t have any green Christmas fabrics. So it’s going to be a blue baubles abstract. More soon.

Something new

The tutorial for Cavex by Anke Wechsung from the 04/2019 issue of the German Patchwork Professional magazine was something I couldn’t get out of my head. So I finally gave in and spent Friday and Saturday sewing.

This was a test if I could concentrate on the tutorial and to find out if I had the physical power to sew the project. It’s a small one and everything went fine.

Then my muse struck me. Or hit me with his baseball bat, to be exact. Instead of two cuts like this ) ( I made two cuts like this \ /. And got this –

I used two of my project bags for these. The first one is from Fancy Cats Dots by Makower in four of the five colours I have. The second one is made from three nameless fabrics by Stof A/S and one Robert Kaufman Marbleous  in black, which were leftovers from Unfinished Business.

Dave the Muse suggested different ways of cutting and my collection of Lonni Rossi fabrics.  – Always at your service, my Lord and Master. ✂

Skipping Stones – UL 21

The UFO Lottery continues and one more of my infamous un-quilts is here – Skipping Stones.

A piece inspired by a quilt I found in the Spring 2015 issue of Burda Patchwork (HĂŒpfende Steine by Emma Coutancier). Read more about the start of the project here and how I messed it up here.

I was thinking of quilting but couldn’t decide upon a pattern so I left it unquilted. Finished size is 58 x 71 cms.

Citrus – UL 14

Next finished project in the UFO Lottery is Citrus.

I bought the fabrics together with a citrus print (below) but somehow it didn’t make it into the piece. There were several changes in the number of the blocks in one row and I ended up with seven in the short rows and eight in the long rows. I remember that I used up the light yellow fabric up to the last thread. Finished size is 65 x 78 cms. – A similar piece made only from the darker fabrics is Propeller, a piece from my first UFO Lottery list.