Morris Dance Finished

And another one! Today I finished Morris Dance. The name was inspired by William Morris who designed the patterns of the prints I used in this project as well as a book by Charlotte McLeod (one of the ‘Boston’ series, I’ve forgotten the title) I had read a while before I started the piece.

Those of you who do not live in an area where Morris Dancing is practised can learn more about it here. Maybe I should add little bells? No, only joking. 🙂

The fabric I used for the binding and back – a pattern called ‘Single Stem’ – was originally bought for piecing the backside in the same way as the front. I finished the edges using a method known as ‘hemming’ by folding the seams to the inside and stitch them together using a stab stitch.

front and back, detail

Advertisements

UFO Lottery #6 – Morris Dance

A couple of years ago I bought some fabrics from Rose & Hubble’s William Morris Collection. Being a friend of Art Nouveau, I love his designs and was happy to find some fabrics for a future project. Find out more about William Morris here.

I designed different patterns using octagons and small rectangles and at the end chose this one with two different sizes of octagons. The original plan was to make two identical panels and sew them back to back. The second one would be in a more reddish colourway and the edge would have an irregular shape.

Well, I was too lazy to make the second one. And the sewing took quite some time, more than I expected. So a narrow border to a straight edge must do.

Sorry, the picture is a little blurry, but there will a better one very soon. 🙂