Once more with a feeling

And another one from the UFO Lottery – a panel turned into a cushion cover.

The red frame around the center, made from the darkest red, called for some contrast. There was a black scrap on the table that was just the right size for a thin accent border.

Instead of a zipper closure I went for a hotel closure. I was so proud of myself when I managed to get that part instantly right. So off I went to the sewing machine. What I hadn’t noticed at the time was that I had the front pinned on inside out. Misfortune never sleeps.

My friend Jack (the ripper) went to work and I pinned everything anew – once more with a feeling.

A description of how I made the panel is here.

 

Two new quilt tops

An amazing amount of pieces came out of the scraps I cut up, so I decided not to use everything in one piece.


Electric Blue

For a change, I’m going to quilt them.

Ammonites, Barnacles, Crinoids & Friends

The next finished piece is Fossil Friends.

You may have recognised the Crinoid panel (top left) which is my blog icon. I was planning to use it together with the Ammonite panel (bottom right) for some time already but had no idea how to finish the piece. After a rummage through my stash I came up with coral and ammonite prints. A leftover of light green Fossil Ferns fabric was perfect for the barnacles. But what about the ammonite print as I already had an ammonite panel? My sister suggested starfish. The internet had what I needed (find the free starfish pattern – in German – here.) It’s hard to see in the picture but I used four different colours of thread for the hemming, matching the individual fabrics in each corner. Finished size is 54 x 51 cms.

 

 

 

Uglies

Here’s another one from the UFO Lottery, Uglies. A title lovingly created for a piece made from not so beautiful or just the ‘wrong’ kind of colour fabrics.

Finished size is 58 x 100 cms.

Some of the original blocks, cut up and with added black strips

I played around with a couple of design options.

Impro-Blocks

Another finish from the UFO Lottery, with two more to come and lots of stuff in the making, working on projects every spare minute.

It’s named Impro-Blocks. I had already cut some fabrics for something very different. Didn’t work, so I had to improvise a little to make something else.

Finished size 47 x 56 cms

Something new

The tutorial for Cavex by Anke Wechsung from the 04/2019 issue of the German Patchwork Professional magazine was something I couldn’t get out of my head. So I finally gave in and spent Friday and Saturday sewing.

This was a test if I could concentrate on the tutorial and to find out if I had the physical power to sew the project. It’s a small one and everything went fine.

Then my muse struck me. Or hit me with his baseball bat, to be exact. Instead of two cuts like this ) ( I made two cuts like this \ /. And got this –

I used two of my project bags for these. The first one is from Fancy Cats Dots by Makower in four of the five colours I have. The second one is made from three nameless fabrics by Stof A/S and one Robert Kaufman Marbleous  in black, which were leftovers from Unfinished Business.

Dave the Muse suggested different ways of cutting and my collection of Lonni Rossi fabrics.  – Always at your service, my Lord and Master. ✂️

UFO Lottery update

The UFO Lottery is doing quite well, I have finished UL 4 und UL 5. Unfortunately, the words for the entries took a wrong turn somewhere and are now meandering around in the maze of my brain. They will turn up eventually.

For UL 6, I’ve drawn Scrappy. Although I’ve already chosen the backing and binding fabric I’m not quite sure if or how to finish this small piece. The sashing is way too wide, maybe I’ll be taking the top apart again and try something different. What do you think?

‘Scrappy’ top

Meanwhile, I’ve already started working on UL 7, not wanting to waste my precious time. Yes, I’m on a roll. 🙂

Practice, practice, practice

Yesterday I pulled out a set of six hand dyed batiks, finally having an idea what to sew from them. I bought the fabrics many years ago at a fair. The maker and vendor was an Austrian lady if I remember it correctly. A second set in rosewood tones has already been made into a top and is waiting for a finish.

rb01
The pattern is from an old issue of Patchwork Ideen magazine (Vol. 1/2001), Frühlingsgefühle (Feelings of spring) by Inge Heinze. I cut my strips 5 cm/1″ wide instead of 7.6 cm/3″ wide to get smaller blocks. Also, instead of making 72 squares I only made 36.

rb02
Squares cut on the diagonal

rb03
and reassembled.

rb04

And, for the practice part, I managed to get the seams quite decent this time – at least at the right side. 🙂 I’m going to make this into a cushion cover. There must be some matching fabric somewhere in my stash and I know I’ve got a matching zipper in one of my numerous boxes.

rb05

Bargello

For my third machine sewing project I used a bargello pattern from Burda Patchwork (Fall 2015), but made a smaller version with only 14 colours instead of 31.

I chose the fabrics with a mother of pearl colourway in mind, but it might also resemble you of oil on water.

Sewing these three pieces, I got a little more skilled in machine sewing. I have chosen a couple of other projects to make, but first I need to finish my UFOs and then practice some machine quilting.

Tomorrow it’ll be back to work after two weeks off.