Palimpsest (UL 1)

And the first winner is – Palimpsest*

The background was made back in 2008 and 2009, using my then new sewing machine and a variety of machine embroidery threads, mostly Madeira Rayon. The idea behind it was to create a parchment-like piece like a page from an old book, with an illuminated letter and decorative painting. The letter is cross stitched (U is for Unicorn) and appliquéd in place. I used a giant zigzag stitch to couch down the red lace after testing different possibilities in hand and machine stitching. Finished size is 40 x 46 cms.

detail, showing cross stitched letter, couching and machine embroidery

some of the threads used in machine embroidery

*a piece of parchment that has the original writing removed for re-use, with some of the old letters sometimes still slightly visible

 

Sinus-itis

Sinus is finished at last!

This one caused a little trouble where I didn’t expect it. I had already bought the backing fabric a couple of months ago, but either I didn’t measure or calculate correctly or the fabric has shrunk during pre-washing. Anyway, it was about 2″ too narrow to use so I had to buy a new piece of fabric. I chose a cream one from the ‘Dimples’ collection.

I used some thin batting but decided this had to be secured against shoving because of the size of this project. For binding the piece I used the method known as hemming – place the top and back right sides out and fold the seams to the inside, then sew them together with a running stitch. But this wouldn’t hold the batting in place.

My idea was to use some machine stitching in some places, not proper machine quilting which I’ve never done before. My machine has a couple of built-in alphabet stitches. Why not write the title ‘Sinus’? So I made a sample which went well. As samples do. When it came to ‘quilting’ the sandwich this did not work as expected. After three ‘Sinuses’ I gave up and chose one of the decorative stitches instead (the one that came closest to a sinus wave) and stitched a couple of bars in various places. Do I need to mention I had to pick two of them out and try again? As I used matching thread colours, the slightly uneven stitching fortunately doesn’t stand out from the fabric.

I’ve turned the piece 90 degrees so the green sinus wave is now running across the bottom. I would have loved to have a green border from the same fabric used for the sinus wave but didn’t have enough left and couldn’t get a similar one. So I chose a matching brown instead.

(Sorry for posting this a little later – while making my afternoon coffee I spilled some water into the old filter, while taking it out of the coffee maker I spread some coffee meal onto the table and into the coffee maker, while cleaning it up I flooded the floor with some of the remaining water – twice.)

Here are some detail shots.

Stitch sample

Fabrics with white print patterns

The back side after taking out the templates

The sinus wave stitching in situ

Fixed! Friday 16

Welcome again to Fixed! Friday.

Just got a call from Günther. Günther from the fishing club. No, I don’t know him. Obviously he called a totally different mobile number than mine, and I don’t even have a mobile phone. And you know how guys sometimes are. Immediately afterwards he rang again. Women don’t do this, at least I’ve never experienced this before. Other than with men.

I need to finish another piece for my secret knitting project now and then make some crochet lichen from perle cotton to go with it. Tonight will be one of those now rare occasions – I’ll be watching TV. Yesterday, the DVD Penguins – Spy in the huddle arrived in the mail, narrated by David Tennant. No, I’m not suffering from Tennantitis – I enjoy every minute. 😉

Here’s today’s piece:

9 x 13

An original design. A former colleague used to give me thin cardboard sheets their office always got in the mail, separating the papers of different clients. I simply cut nine of them (the sheets, not the clients) into three long strips each and then into smaller pieces of different sizes. Each of the nine strips has got thirteen pieces, hence the title.

I used three different colours of Prismaglass fabrics, which went together pretty well with some batiks I had bought before. Miraculously, three embroidery yarns in matching colours were in my stash as well. All of those were bought independently over a period of time and only came together in this piece, the grey fabric coming also from my stash.

detail

Made between November 2007 and June 2011, size is 70 x 104 cms. Number of pieces: 9 x 13 (117).

Next week on Fixed! Friday: Im Farbenrausch (Rush of colours)

Dave’s Design Disasters – 1

Hi! Me again.

Being a muse, I always have some new ideas to be made into projects by my assistant J.

Unfortunately, not everything turns out as planned (sometimes it’s not even my fault). So, dear reader, get ready for a new series of mine –

Dave’s Design Disasters

Take this one here. This is from a challenge of J’s former patchwork group. Everyone received the same five fabrics, a fat quarter of each one. The orange one was a problem – what to do? Of course, it was meant to be the ‘accent fabric’. A very bad accent in my humble opinion. I decided to go for a tiny bit of sarcasm and called it ‘Bildstörung’, referring to a broken down TV screen.

My assistant tells me she hasn’t seen one of the other projects finished or even in progress. So I suppose I wasn’t the only one who had trouble with this fabric choice. Ha!

J hand sewed this using the English paper piecing technique. She then machine embroidered the piece with some decorative stitches including its name. I think I’ll have to come up with a very good idea to convince her of finishing it.

 

EDIT: I’ve just noticed the pic is a little blurry. Here’s a detail shot, showing the hand and machine stitching.

DAVE