It’s Quilted

Nooo!!!

Really?

Yes, I did it – quilted the Knotweed sandwich by machine. First try, instant success. Or just beginner’s luck. 😉

Remember I wrote that I was maybe going to quilt it if I had some matching batting in my stash? Well, I needed 62 x 83 cms. I went through the leftover pieces from my latest finishes and guess what? The remaining piece of batting from Protection was exactly the right size – 63 x 89 cms. Weird. That project really seems to work as a guardian as far as my efforts to finish my WIPs and UFOs are concerned.

As I had quite an amount of the yellow fabric, I also used it for the back and binding. It was just wide enough to fit lengthwise. And there’s still some left.

I quilted some tilting lines that echo the stalks in the center piece, just enough to hold it together. Instead of marking I quilted along some masking tape stuck to the surface.

Another one off the list. 🙂

Advertisements

Knotweed, Not Bamboo

Japanese knotweed stalks

In my last Fixed! Friday post I introduced you to a piece with a yellow binding which had reminded Avis of Oh Sew Tempting of bamboo. I hadn’t noticed that before, but yes, she’s right. There are indeed some yellow species of bamboo, but most are green.

Knotweed (wip)

Strangely enough, just one or two days before I had thought of something – taking a backing fabric, cut it and insert a different fabric. I’ve even made some sketches. Avis’ comment led me to some pics I took last fall – not bamboo, but Japanese knotweed. Just the stalks without the leaves – and yellow.

After sewing on another project which had found me while I was looking for something else, I got out the yellow and brown fabric. Two of the extra fabrics from the other project, a brave cut across both of them. Sewn back together and cut again. Some strips from the yellow fabrics inserted. VoilĂ .

This needs a little more work – borders, binding, maybe some quilting. I’m currently exploring my sewing machine skills and there’s a lot to learn.