Fixed! Friday 15

Welcome to today’s Fixed! Friday.

Finally found my folder containing the scans of various projects again which I mysteriously saved under ‘photos/patchwork’ on my computer’s harddrive just a couple of days ago. Too obvious to search for it there in the first place. Or maybe I’m getting old. Or confused.

Music today is David Campbell’s The Swing Sessions 2. Yesterday I found a video on Youtube of him interviewing not one, not two, but three Doctors Who on Australian tv. Double fangirl heaven!

Without further ado, here’s

Sternenhaufen (Star Cluster)

A pattern from the special edition Sterne (Stars) published by the German Patchwork Guild in December 2001. And old Islamic pattern often used in stone inlay work (intarsia).

Original pattern

Made from cottons and cotton satin, partly hand-dyed, between June 2003 and October 2004. Measuring 55 x 55 cms and consisting of 425 pieces, it took me 54’45 hours to sew.

detail

Next week on Fixed! Friday: 9 x13

Advertisements

Fixed! Friday 12

Welcome to another Fixed! Friday.

We still have snow showers today, preferably when I leave a building to catch the bus or leave the bus to walk home. I’m home now and the sun is shining. (This works with rain as well.)

It’s already getting late, so without further ado, here’s

Isfahan

Years ago I discovered this pattern watching a programme called ‘Treasures of the Orient’ on German tv. This was way before you simply could make a screen cap – imagine me sitting in front of the tv set with the VHS tape set to ‘pause’ mode hastily scribbling down the pattern onto grid paper. I found you a link to a picture on Wikipedia.

Isfahan block layout

As there was a quote in the centre which of course I wasn’t able to read (Geometric Kufi isn’t one of mine), I designed my own centre motif. It was a little difficult to get exactly the turquoise/teal fabric I wanted and took me a while. But in the meantime I had already made a little cross stitch variation of the pattern.

Isfahan cross stitch

The backside’s beautiful structure had me seriously considering using it as the front. – Maybe next time. – I used a thin polyester batting, no quilting.

Made between August 2000 and April 2001, size is 73 x 73 cms. The top contains 1,681 pieces and took me 131’35 hours to finish.

Next week on Fixed! Friday: Triaxial