Here’s this week’s first finish (yes, I’m suggesting there will be at least one more 🙂 ).
After my lunch break I pinned the edges and began to sew the top and backing together. I had to be a little extra careful because I was sewing with a contrasting thread so the stitches would clearly be visible. I used some variegated quilting thread from my stash, Gütermann Sulky in colour 4008.
Everyone gets nightmares about ripping things apart. I’m happy that it turned out easier than expected. Getting started was the trick. Now it’s finally as it should have been in the first place with beautiful flat edges. If I think about the first version that looked like corrugated iron… *shiver* The extra hours have clearly made the project a success.
Now I’m off to cut the backing fabric for Rainbow Kites as that one already has got the border strips sewn on, and maybe a little pinning. I might even squeeze in cutting and ironing the border strips for the next project. We’ll see. 😉
The last seam is finished and I managed to keep the borders lying flat. Yay! The top is now complete for the second time. Here are a few detail shots.
I chose a rusty red for the thin border which echoes the reds in the indigo prints from the panel. The dark blue border is from Moda.
For the back I chose another Moda print, Sweet Land of Liberty by Sandy Gervais. Not exactly Japanese, but it works for me.
On the weekend I’m going to cut the backing fabric and do the pinning so I can take it to work next week and do the stitching. Time for the next UFO Lottery draw now. 🙂
Here’s my next project from the UFO Lottery – Japan. Sorry again for the blurry picture. I bought some gorgeous indigo coloured prints inspired by Japanese patterns, got some matching beige faux uni and added a narrow strip of rusty red from my stash. I chose a simple pattern often seen in Japanese design, et voilá!
As you can see, I’ve got a little problem with this one. The border strips got wavy after I attached them. I have no idea why as I took great care not to stretch them during sewing and ironing.
So now I’m on a mission to save Japan.
This involved some ‘unsewing’ in which my dear friend Jack (the Ripper) was glad to help. First the blue strips came off, followed by the red ones which leaves me with the naked panel now.
I’ve already pressed the strips again and will now rejoin them, hoping they’ll still fit as they were cut without any extra length.
Welcome again to the next part of Fixed! Friday.
Taking a short coffee break from panic cleaning (surprise visit on Sunday). So I’m a bit in a hurry.
This week’s un-quilt:
Inspired by a drawing I found in a volume of Spektrum der Wissenschaft (Science Spectrum). I later learned it is an ancient pattern, Grünbaum/Shephard have it, too. I made the woven diamond using English paper piecing and appliquéd it onto the background fabric . Because of the light colour I used a thin polyester batting/wadding.
Made from cotton fabrics between February 2000 and November 2001 from 968 pieces, this took me 143’15 hours to make. Size is 114 x 202 cms.
Next week on Fixed! Friday: Kaleidoskop
Welcome to Fixed! Friday again.
I’m posting a little later today because I’m only home now after a trip into town. Some of my works are still on display in a local sewing machine shop. It’s time to welcome them home soon.
Now I’ve settled down in my corner of the couch with a cup of tea and a little cardboard tray with two wieners, a little bun and some mustard. I know what you’re thinking – Ah, she’s finally run out of Christmas goodies. – No, I haven’t. They’re made of marzipan and were a Christmas gift. On the turntable: Rage And Ruin by Jimmy Barnes.
Also on today’s menu:
If you ever see one of my pieces named like this you can be sure it’s another one from my favourite book of all times: Tilings And Patterns by Grünbaum/Shephard. This is #4 in the crash fabric series.
I love the transparency effect where the hexagon ‘rings’ overlap each other which was created by using a light colour and a dark one. As soon as you think you know which one is on top the layers shift. Your eyes can wander around in this one never finding a fixed point.
This is the sketch in which I have outlined the blocks.
Made between May and December 2001, size is 82 x 82 cms. It took 66’25 hours to sew the 475 pieces in this un-quilt together and add the borders and back. I’ve used a thin polyester batting/wadding this time for a little more ‘body’.
Next week on Fixed! Friday: Kairo (Cairo)
Welcome back to Fixed! Friday. Comfy again on my sofa with a cup of coffee next to me, dipping in some crunchy leftover Christmas Spekulatius (traditional German kind of advent/Christmas cookies). Dave is watching me from his corner of the couch. On my CD player today: No Plans by Cold Chisel. This rocks!
So – everythings ready for today’s second part. As our beloved WP reader has undergone some slight changes, I hope enough of my post shows up to get you interested. Make yourself comfortable in front of your screen. Here is –
This is the second piece in the ‘crash’ fabric series which was inspired by a TV programme. They were showing a honeycomb lit from the back so you could see the two layers and how they were interlocking. I’ve found a picture in a magazine to show the effect (see centre of the picture).
I’ve made a sketch in the original size, the length of the sides of the black diamonds is 2.5 cms/approx. 1 “. Also, there are hexagons in two different sizes. The dotted lines indicate the sewing lines between the pieces.
Made between September 1996 and November 1999, it took 86’40 hours to sew. Size is 69 x 70 cms, number of pieces: 707. The red fabric has also been used for the back.
Next week on Fixed! Friday: LPP42-13