Fixed! Friday 03

Welcome to Fixed! Friday again.

I’m posting a little later today because I’m only home now after a trip into town. Some of my works are still on display in a local sewing machine shop. It’s time to welcome them home soon.
Now I’ve settled down in my corner of the couch with a cup of tea and a little cardboard tray with two wieners, a little bun and some mustard. I know what you’re thinking – Ah, she’s finally run out of Christmas goodies. – No, I haven’t. They’re made of marzipan and were a Christmas gift. On the turntable: Rage And Ruin by Jimmy Barnes.

Also on today’s menu:

LPP42-13

If you ever see one of my pieces named like this you can be sure it’s another one from my favourite book of all times: Tilings And Patterns by Grünbaum/Shephard. This is #4 in the crash fabric series.

I love the transparency effect where the hexagon ‘rings’ overlap each other which was created by using a light colour and a dark one. As soon as you think you know which one is on top the layers shift. Your eyes can wander around in this one never finding a fixed point.

This is the sketch in which I have outlined the blocks.

Made between May and December 2001, size is 82 x 82 cms. It took 66’25 hours to sew the 475 pieces in this un-quilt together and add the borders and back. I’ve used a thin polyester batting/wadding this time for a little more ‘body’.

Next week on Fixed! Friday: Kairo (Cairo)

Fixed! Friday – 2

Welcome back to Fixed! Friday. Comfy again on my sofa with a cup of coffee next to me, dipping in some crunchy leftover Christmas Spekulatius (traditional German kind of advent/Christmas cookies). Dave is watching me from his corner of the couch. On my CD player today: No Plans by Cold Chisel. This rocks!

So – everythings ready for today’s second part. As our beloved WP reader has undergone some slight changes, I hope enough of my post shows up to get you interested. Make yourself comfortable in front of your screen. Here is –

Waben (Honeycomb)

This is the second piece in the ‘crash’ fabric series which was inspired by a TV programme. They were showing a honeycomb lit from the back so you could see the two layers and how they were interlocking. I’ve found a picture in a magazine to show the effect (see centre of the picture).

I’ve made a sketch in the original size, the length of the sides of the black diamonds is 2.5 cms/approx. 1 “. Also, there are hexagons in two different sizes. The dotted lines indicate the sewing lines between the pieces.

Made between September 1996 and November 1999, it took 86’40 hours to sew. Size is 69 x 70 cms, number of pieces: 707. The red fabric has also been used for the back.

Next week on Fixed! Friday: LPP42-13

It’s Fixed! Friday

I’ve made myself comfy on the sofa/settee/couch after getting soaked on my way home. Outside it’s still raining cats and dogs. Next to me I’ve got a thermos full of tea, some leftover Christmas chocolates (yes, such things do exist) and my last cinnamon scented candle is spreading it’s warm light. And I’ve put some soothing music on – Away Again by Mikael Rickfors.

Welcome to my first Fixed! Friday.

As I already mentioned in my last post, the archive pages with all of my works are no longer publicly visible – I’ve set them to ‘private’. But I’ve decided to pull out the best bits one by one and give you some more information on the pieces than was available before. So every Friday I will write about one piece – the fabrics used, my inspiration, maybe share some design sketches or detail photos in case I took any.

Let’s start with some pieces made from some of my favourite cotton fabrics. I call them ‘crash’ fabrics because of the printed pattern and because I don’t know their real name.

Würfel (Cubes)

This is an original pattern, the first one in a row made from the so-called ‘crash’ fabric. As far as I remember I saw this pattern in a book and made a sketch. This was back in 1989.

I remember buying the pad I sketched the pattern on. A well-known local stationery shop in the heart of town. I asked the saleswoman for a pad with 60° isometric triangles. At the end of the 80s this was still sometimes used for drawing in technical education, but the golden age of CAD had already begun. For a second she looked at me as if she was going to call the police, obviously thought of it again and went down to the basement from where she produced the pad. I’ve still got a couple of sheets left. With no hope of a replacement in sight I’m lovingly caring for them.

I started sewing in April 1996 and finished the piece in September 1997. The size is 70 x 72 cms, number of pieces is 611. It took 87.5 hours to make, using the English paper piecing technique. It is unquilted, as my pieces usually are, and there’s no batting/wadding.

Looking forward to your comments. Maybe you made this or a similar pattern, too.

Next week on Fixed! Friday: Waben (Honeycomb)