Apart from the mini hexies, I also made some progress on my other hand sewing project, Nebelwald (Cloud Forest).
I’ve sewn the tiles into sections and joined two more rows to the central part.
Next time I’ll be showing you the complete layout, if it all goes to plan.
Only four new units got made this month as I missed one week of crafting.
Units finished: 16/42
Tiles used: 1,540/4,140
But I was able to carry on designing – until I ran out of pins and space. The panel will end up slightly longer than expected, so the bottom row is lying on the floor. 🙂
Sorry if the colours are looking strange. They’re quite ok on my screen, I hope this is true for yours. I’m still experiencing some computer issues and can’t properly calibrate my screen.
This is my June update on the mini hexies (sorry, a couple of days late).
Blocks completed: 12/42
Tiles used: 1,140/4,140
The first two columns have been joined. As I only have so much pins, I’m designing as I go.
Height is about 102 cms, slightly more than I expected. So far, the panel is 28 cms wide.
I’ve already got some more tiles pinned to the design board but need to sew the Ostseemorgen panel first which is sitting next to it before I can continue.
Next update around the end of the month.
Some process shots showing block construction –
pinned tiles – joined into strips
strips joined – templates removed
I didn’t feel much like posting for the last three weeks because of another ‘brain drain’ so I’m trying to give you a couple of update posts on what I did since then.
Starting with Nebelwald (Cloud Forest) – The three rows that are going into the center are joined together. Not that piecing the strange tiles is lots of fun, but I wanted it that way. 😉
This is the lower half of the panel, laid out on my small design board. Amazingly, I had the exact number of tiles I needed.
As you can see I finally decided upon an oval layout. The finished panel will be appliquéd to a background fabric.
The first three units (9 x 10 tiles each) are sewn together and pinned to the design board. I’m already working on the next ones, designing as I go.
For easier handling I need to divide the panel into units, something I totally forgot because I was so excited to start. There will be 42 units, six with 9 x 10 and thirty-six with 10 x 10 hexie tiles.
Next update will be posted around the end of June, depending on progress.
In her comment to my post on the finished batik penties panel Kate asked for some information on how I constructed the panel. I didn’t take any proper process pictures, just a couple of progress shots.
Here are three small blocks or patches, ready to be sewn together. Each one is made of sixteen tiles. Estimated time per block, including cutting templates and fabric, basting and sewing: two hours. Total number of blocks: 144, total number of tiles: 2,304
This is a finished nine patch block, I made sixteen.
The block from the previous pic is top right, with the paper templates already removed. Another nine patch is on the bottom right, still basted with the templates in.
Four nine patches were sewn into a quarter panel, then into two halves and finally into the whole panel. For easier handling, I removed the paper templates after each unit was complete.
It took me four months from start to finished panel. Not too bad for a piece that size – about one square meter (1.196 square yards approx.).
presorted hexies with matching threads
I had 3,601 hexies, made another 359 and discovered that I’d need still another 180 to make it a square. Templates are already drawn and cut, fabric patches are ready to be basted.
The first units on the design board, hexie size: 1 cm (3/8″) – yes, that’s tiny. I love tiny. 🤓
I think it will take me a while to fill the space – my design board is one square meter in size (1.196 square yards approx.)
There’s no plan or layout, just a rough sketch, I’m designing as I go.
I was working exclusively on this one for more than a week to empty the design board for the next project.
Accidentally, I did turn one of the sixteen ‘nine patch’ blocks by 90° clockwise. Not too bad a mistake, but I’m thinking of resewing two of the patches. But this will have to wait.
The panel is one square meter in size. So far, I haven’t got a plan how to finish it.
I’m in hand sewing mode so here’s another one from the UFO Lottery list, Mini Hexies (working title).
Some of the containers with hexies presorted by colour and pattern
Next to the tiles for Cloud Forest sat the box with 3,601 thumbnail sized hexies I had made from part of the fabric from an abandoned project. I’ll have to make 359 more for the layout I have in mind. No hexie flowers or diamonds, but something abstract this time, like this.
But first I need to complete the batik penties project to get an empty design board. Only 40 more blocks to go.
One more from the UFO Lottery List, this is Nebelwald (Cloud Forest), I pulled out this project a couple of days ago. Started in January 2007, the box contained 827 pieces (or tiles). During the last couple of years I auditioned different layouts but never made a decision which one to use.
Finally I went for the original version that requires no additional pieces (like squares or diamonds).
I’m sewing units from four tiles like this which then get joined into strips.
Not sure yet if I should make a rectangular panel or an oval one to appliqué onto a base fabric.
But first I’m going into mask making for my sister and her husband. They have placed an order as from Wednesday on it’s compulsory to wear them (or at least ‘something’ like a scarf or a simple piece of cloth) in shops and buses. I think I’m going for the scarf/cloth version myself, I can hardly breathe wearing a mask. The sample I made makes me look like I’ve got a bad skin condition – white with different dots in shades of pink. 😷