Fixed! Friday 08

It’s Fixed! Friday again.

We’ve been having snow showers all day – tiny little crumbs of snow. Temperatures are slightly above freezing point but the chill of the damp air is creeping in through every buttonhole. I’m glad I’m home now, comfy on the sofa, with a tall mug of coffee and some marzipan eggs (Yum!), and Del Amitri’s Waking Hours in the player (and an idea for some little piece of nonsense for Spontaneous Vegetation, which will be posted already as you’re reading this).

Time to begin.

Polygon 2

The third one in the damast series, I used a combination of the pattern from Polygon and the colour scheme and leftover scraps from Last Wave.

Polygon 2 detail

This one has a special meaning to me. While I was sewing this it occurred to me that it could be telling the story of a certain guy, whose both sides of his personality are held together by the love for his woman (the red patches). At about the time I began to design this, he had to undergo an open heart surgery, of which I only learned some time later. So this red line could as well symbolize the scar left.

damast fabrics detail

Made between May 2005 and August 2008, size is 93 x 93 cms. 400 pieces were sewn together and the center piece is appliquéd to the backing fabric. On the rim I did some hemming* again with variegated perle cotton.

*hemming: fold the front and back fabrics to the inside, then ‘quilt’ together without using a binding

Next week on Fixed! Friday: Korallenriff (Coral reef)

Advertisements

Fixed! Friday 07

Welcome to Pt. 7 of Fixed! Friday.

Finally I’m back from a trip into town getting some flowers for my sister’s birthday tomorrow. Of course they didn’t have what I wanted (Improvise!), then the bus got stuck (someone had been playing Parking for Beginners), the water at home isn’t running properly (already had a shower with my clothes on because of air in the water), the computer needs a wee minutie to start (configuration after update), and my feet are aching. With a mug of coffee and a bar of peppermint filled chocolate I have taken my usual place on the sofa, listening to the Australian band Cold Chisel and their 1998 album The Last Wave of Summer, the title track of which provided the name for today’s project. The lyrics can be found here.

Ok, I’m already late, so let’s waste no time. Here’s

Last Wave Of Summer

I used hand-dyed cotton damast/damask fabrics which came in 62 colours – another bargain bought along with the fabrics used for last week’s piece. This set had enough fabric for two un-quilts. The two red ones and the white one were bought separately.

You may recognise the pattern – Arnold also used this for his ‘shirts’ patchwork.

on the pinboard

I think the colours match the song perfectly – the pale green and the yellows are like the colours of the dried grass and weeds at the end of the summer. ‘There’s a cold winter coming’ – white and blue.
Red because it’s a love song.

737 pieces were sewn together and appliquéd onto a dark blue cotton background in 120 hours. This piece measures 130 x 130 cms and was made between June 2002 and April 2003.

detail shot of fabrics

Next week on Fixed! Friday: Polygon II

Fixed! Friday 06

Let me welcome you to the next part of Fixed! Friday.

After another insane week at the office I’m finally home for the weekend. The weather has become more winter-y again. Calls for a pot of tea and some treats. Tomorrow’s forecast: snow. Great. I was planning a trip to the Textile Museum in Neumünster. Currently showing: ‘Color Improvisations’ and works by Nancy Crow. Last chance to see them in Europe before they travel back to the US. I’ll tell you more about it in a future post. – Oh, I almost forgot today’s music: Paul Carrack’s Groovin.

But now it’s time to begin.

Polygon 1

Using pentagons this time, I made this one from a set of hand-dyed cotton damast fabrics that came in a wooden box (a bargain – no-one wanted the fabrics, can you imagine that?). This is the first in a series of three damast projects.

Before I started I had to do a little work as I wanted to make the best use of the fabrics. Measuring, calculating, finding a pattern kept me busy for a while. Success – no scraps left.

Playing with the layout

a first layout

some colour finetuning

the holes for the contrasting fabric taken out, the pieces joined back to one side

the contrasting fabrics in situ

Made between June and December 2001, size is 93 x 93 cms. 400 pieces were sewn together and the un-quilt was finished in 56’05 hours. The center piece is appliquéd to the backing fabric. On the rim I did some hemming* with variegated perle cotton.

hemming

*hemming: fold the front and back fabrics to the inside, then ‘quilt’ together without using a binding

Next week on Fixed! Friday: Last Wave Of Summer