Thirteen things with wings – 5

Here are the next two lepidopterans – only one more left to go.

I’ve already started the big yellow one but it will take a couple of days, hoping I’ll have it all finished, washed and ironed by the weekend as a couple of appointments are coming up next week.

Thirteen things with wings – 3

Despite some unexpected trouble with one of my blogs and quite a lot of work resulting from this, plus some unpicking of a wing I managed to finish the next set of butterflies (and a moth).

After seven ‘things with wings’ I’m halfway through the stitching although only six are remaining. One of them is twice the size so it counts for two. 😉

Thirteen things with wings – 1

Making the Woodland Sampler was so much fun that I decided to extend my ‘March is cross stitch month’ into April.

My new project is a design by De Selby called Butterfly Box,   published in the June 2015 issue of Just Cross Stitch magazine. As it’s not just butterflies but also dragonflies and moths, I renamed it Thirteen things with wings.

This time I’m stitching on cream evenweave by Rico which is a littly floppy for my liking but I didn’t feel like doing all those quarter stitches on Aida. I’m using the original DMC colours I had in my stash and converted the other ones to Anchor.

Magical Butterflies

I spent a couple of hours at the local Botanical Gardens on Monday. They’re having a butterfly exhibition until September. It was a very special experience walking among all those beautiful fluttering creatures, I might go again.

No idea what they are called, but here’s a small gallery.

Butterflies – Stage 8 & Finish

Pararge aegeria tircis (male)

You may have noticed it was a little quiet around here and my other blogs lately. I was engaged in a serious battle against everything paper in my humble dwellings (not finished yet, but way better than before), went for a couple of photo walks on the weekends (got soaked last weekend – why does it always rain on weekends?), had some health issues getting in the way (hoping to get a satisfying answer tomorrow from my doc) and there was a death in the family (finally, after months of struggling), but I still managed to finish my Butterflies.

But before I show you how it turned out, here are the last five beauties.

Speckled Wood (Pararge aegeria tircis)

Gatekeeper, Hedge Brown (Pyronia tithonus)

White Admiral (Limenitis camilla)

Clouded Yellow (Colias croceus)

Purple Emperor (Apatura iris)

For the backing and binding I used some fabric from my stash. Not the one I was looking for and obviously didn’t have – a red one with butterflies. But I found another one I had totally forgotten about – a blue one with butterflies’ wings. At first I was a little reluctant to cut this one, but Hey! That’s what it’s made for!

backing and binding fabric

Washing and ironing out the dust and creases of at least 15 years, adding a leftover piece of thin batting/wadding and a thin border from the backing fabric – et voilá!

Erm – some of you who have a sharp eye may have noticed I miscounted my own pattern (top row, right). I only noticed after I had finished the Gatekeeper but neither had time nor did I feel like taking out the stitches and start again. Better luck next time. 😉

This was the last stage of my project in a SAL. I think Avis in England and Claire in France both have finished Cirque des Cercles, Gun from Sweden should have found a solution for her blue flowers while Kate from Australia has already completed her wedding sampler and has started a new project. Feel free to pop over!

I will now try to finish some of the projects from my list before the end of the year and there are still some WIPs waiting at the UFO Garage. This means my other cross stitch projects will have to wait until 2015. After all, I don’t own a Tardis. At least not a real one. Only this wonky little thing. 🙂