A Blackwork Designer, Me?

‘blackwork’ design, 1976

A couple of days ago I pulled out my old drawings. I was looking for a certain piece and found some sheets I had long forgotten about.

One of these was the one pictured above. To my surprise, it had a date on the back: February 1976 (some of my readers weren’t even born then, I guess). 🙂 Can you believe this – 37 years ago I was a blackwork designer – unaware of the fact that such a thing even existed. 😀 Look, I even put in some French knots.

There was a little scrap of the 12 ct Aida left and the jar of embroidery floss which I used in Avis’ blackwork SAL. So I made a little sample. Maybe I’ll add the French knots later. Still have to decide on the colour.

blackwork sample, 2013

Advertisements

Blackwork SAL

Jar of embroidery floss

I’ve completed my first blackwork piece. Avis of Oh Sew Tempting had run a blackwork SAL at her blog and I thought I’d give it a try. The project is now complete, but you can still go over and stitch if you like. The gallery is kept open for new entries.

For my project, I just took what was at hand: my last piece of leftover Aida fabric and a little jar of embroidery floss. I had bought the floss in a sale. Seems it was from a couple of kits that the shop had taken apart, as they sold only the knotted floss like it usually comes in kits. I think I only paid 50 Euro cents each (approx 45 p / 65 c US).

As the fabric was 12 ct. Aida I used two strands instead of one.

These are the results after each week of stitching –

week 1

week 2

week 3

week 4

week 5

week 6

I’ve not decided yet what to use it for. Maybe it fits into my book project. This is something that’s currently in a very early planning stage so be patient.

But it was so much fun that I’m thinking of an original blackwork project (not a SAL yet, sorry) and I’m doing some research currently (during which I also have discovered a certain weak spot for canvaswork – must try).