Once more with a feeling

And another one from the UFO Lottery – a panel turned into a cushion cover.

The red frame around the center, made from the darkest red, called for some contrast. There was a black scrap on the table that was just the right size for a thin accent border.

Instead of a zipper closure I went for a hotel closure. I was so proud of myself when I managed to get that part instantly right. So off I went to the sewing machine. What I hadn’t noticed at the time was that I had the front pinned on inside out. Misfortune never sleeps.

My friend Jack (the ripper) went to work and I pinned everything anew – once more with a feeling.

A description of how I made the panel is here.

 

Two new quilt tops

An amazing amount of pieces came out of the scraps I cut up, so I decided not to use everything in one piece.


Electric Blue

For a change, I’m going to quilt them.

Ammonites, Barnacles, Crinoids & Friends

The next finished piece is Fossil Friends.

You may have recognised the Crinoid panel (top left) which is my blog icon. I was planning to use it together with the Ammonite panel (bottom right) for some time already but had no idea how to finish the piece. After a rummage through my stash I came up with coral and ammonite prints. A leftover of light green Fossil Ferns fabric was perfect for the barnacles. But what about the ammonite print as I already had an ammonite panel? My sister suggested starfish. The internet had what I needed (find the free starfish pattern – in German – here.) It’s hard to see in the picture but I used four different colours of thread for the hemming, matching the individual fabrics in each corner. Finished size is 54 x 51 cms.

 

 

 

Uglies

Here’s another one from the UFO Lottery, Uglies. A title lovingly created for a piece made from not so beautiful or just the ‘wrong’ kind of colour fabrics.

Finished size is 58 x 100 cms.

Some of the original blocks, cut up and with added black strips

I played around with a couple of design options.

Impro-Blocks

Another finish from the UFO Lottery, with two more to come and lots of stuff in the making, working on projects every spare minute.

It’s named Impro-Blocks. I had already cut some fabrics for something very different. Didn’t work, so I had to improvise a little to make something else.

Finished size 47 x 56 cms

Small panel

Leftover scraps from my Lumos! project went into this small project. The squares were originally part of the now abandoned Strata series.

I fused scraps to a background fabric and machine sewed some lines across them (hand sewing was done on the red square).

Finished back in February, size 18 x 43 cms

Small bag

It’s Aspiring Sewing Artist time again! 😉

Today I tested a pattern from the former Austrian Patchwork- und Quiltjournal to get some sewing practice. The ‘page for the young quilter’ had small bags from Christmas fabrics. As I didn’t have the stiff interfacing that was needed I used some fabric from my pile of cut up old blue jeans. A couple of small mistakes (note to self: read carefully and follow the pattern steb by step) and some tricky turning later I had a small bag. Finished size is approximately 11 cms.

Blue Baubles

The first batch of my blue Christmas baubles is pinned to the design board, more to follow. A great way to use up all those small scraps of batting left over from other projects.


The following ‘making of’ shots are from a half finished project. – First I need a cardboard circle, a piece of scrap batting the same size as the circle plus two circles of fabric, cut with about 1 cm  seam allowance.


Next step: pin cardboard circle onto fabric, baste around the seam allowance and pull tight to gather, press from left side.


Remove basting and cardboard circle, insert batting


Pin both circles, left sides together, and sew together around edge (I whipstiched them)

Not quite square

Sometimes things don’t work out the way you planned. After testing the pattern from Patchwork Professional and thinking of alternative cuts, I pulled out some of my precious Lonni Rossi designed fabrics and went to work. I got this –

Alas, all of the squares became a little ‘unsquare’. They’re even different sizes despite the same number of strips.

So the quilt isn’t going to be.

I’ll have to think about something else. Cushion covers, perhaps? No one is going to notice they’re not square once they sit on the sofa. 😀

Cuts: | |

Cuts: ) (

Cuts: / \

Cuts: < >

I found solace in starting a hand sewing project. My sister insisted on suggested a Christmas door hanging with Christmas tree, candles, baubles, presents beneath. The ultimate kitsch. (Un)fortunately I don’t have any green Christmas fabrics. So it’s going to be a blue baubles abstract. More soon.

Something new

The tutorial for Cavex by Anke Wechsung from the 04/2019 issue of the German Patchwork Professional magazine was something I couldn’t get out of my head. So I finally gave in and spent Friday and Saturday sewing.

This was a test if I could concentrate on the tutorial and to find out if I had the physical power to sew the project. It’s a small one and everything went fine.

Then my muse struck me. Or hit me with his baseball bat, to be exact. Instead of two cuts like this ) ( I made two cuts like this \ /. And got this –

I used two of my project bags for these. The first one is from Fancy Cats Dots by Makower in four of the five colours I have. The second one is made from three nameless fabrics by Stof A/S and one Robert Kaufman Marbleous  in black, which were leftovers from Unfinished Business.

Dave the Muse suggested different ways of cutting and my collection of Lonni Rossi fabrics.  – Always at your service, my Lord and Master. ✂