Pleading guilty

of looting and damaging a work of art or two 😉

Kiel Week is over and the huge playground Spiellinie on the slopes of Krusenkoppel is closed. So this morning I armed myself with some bags and a pair of scissors to go treasure hunting. I waited about half an hour in the queue, and after paying donating a small sum I got a little piece of paper stating the things I was entitled to plunder. Sadly, the hand made paper had all been used up in making rayfish, but five of the blue jellyfish went into my first bag. Then I gave the giant sea snake a shave and snipped a couple of strips from the seaweed. – After washing and ironing I’ll make the strips into new works of art.

Below are some pictures from my visit yesterday (Sunday) – this year’s motto was Wasser, Wind und Wellenwesen (water, wind and wave beings). The activities for the children include painting, weaving, paper making and building sculptures from mud and straw, they can listen to storytellers and become mud people in the mud bath, hammer boards to wooden castles or pirate ships, among lots more.

UFO Lottery update

The UFO Lottery is doing quite well, I have finished UL 4 und UL 5. Unfortunately, the words for the entries took a wrong turn somewhere and are now meandering around in the maze of my brain. They will turn up eventually.

For UL 6, I’ve drawn Scrappy. Although I’ve already chosen the backing and binding fabric I’m not quite sure if or how to finish this small piece. The sashing is way too wide, maybe I’ll be taking the top apart again and try something different. What do you think?

‘Scrappy’ top

Meanwhile, I’ve already started working on UL 7, not wanting to waste my precious time. Yes, I’m on a roll. 🙂

Bargello (UL3)

Friday’s second finish is

Bargello

A machine pieced un-quilt from a pattern inBurda Patchwork (Fall 2015). I made a smaller version with only 14 colours instead of 31. Size is 66 x 68 cms and I used a thin polyester batting like I usually do with batik fabrics.  What I had in mind when chosing the fabrics was a mother-of-pearl colourway you’ll find in a paua shell, but it might as well resemble oil on water or a coral reef.

The binding and backing fabric is one of my most cherished batiks and it cost me some willpower to use it. 🙂

backing fabric

I’ve already drawn the next winner, another piece that needs only little time to finish.

Marmor (UL 2)

Two finishes yesterday! This is the first one –

Marmor (Marble)


This piece was started on June 12, 2007 – it only took ten years (and four days) to finish 😉 It still surprises me it was so many years ago I started this one.

The idea behind this piece came from my Isfahan and Breakdance un-quilts. The wrong sides had such a beautiful texture and I thought it would make a great project of its own. Again, the pattern comes from ‘Tilings and patterns’ (Grünbaum/Shephard). I can still remember where I bought the batik fabrics, it was the Dutch-German fabric market in Hamburg. Not with this special project in mind, but a matching set of four resembling actual marble colours.

Finished size is 48 x 63 cms, number of pieces is 288. Size of squares is 15 mms (9/16″)

texture created with pieces used from the ‘wrong’ side, hand stitching is clearly visible

 

Palimpsest (UL 1)

And the first winner is – Palimpsest*

The background was made back in 2008 and 2009, using my then new sewing machine and a variety of machine embroidery threads, mostly Madeira Rayon. The idea behind it was to create a parchment-like piece like a page from an old book, with an illuminated letter and decorative painting. The letter is cross stitched (U is for Unicorn) and appliquéd in place. I used a giant zigzag stitch to couch down the red lace after testing different possibilities in hand and machine stitching. Finished size is 40 x 46 cms.

detail, showing cross stitched letter, couching and machine embroidery

some of the threads used in machine embroidery

*a piece of parchment that has the original writing removed for re-use, with some of the old letters sometimes still slightly visible

 

Reviving the UFO Lottery

not what it seems to be

A couple of days ago I felt a little stuck again. I couldn’t decide which one of my featured projects I should pick up. That’s when my old UFO Lottery idea popped up again. As I’m feeling a little better health wise I made a contract with myself: I’m going to revive the UFO Lottery.

but this 🙂

There were ten projects (out of twenty-seven) left in the original UFO Lottery, I’ve added another 25 tickets for a total of 35. Those went onto the top of the list, they’re the ones I want to finish the most. A lot of them only need a couple of hours work, some demand a little more time and attention. And there are still loads of other things that didn’t make it onto the list like test samples and the like. They might get a chance as well.

The first draw has taken place, the project is finished. More soon.

All nice and clean

Cityscapes #3, from my blog  jule b. – art lab

As I mentioned before, I have imported all of my stuff from my former blogs From The Boudoir and The UFO Garage & Fabric Depot.

This meant reading and editing 360 + entries, checking the links and – most of all – deleting every single picture and replacing them. Some of them got lost in the export/import business, some apperared in the wrong places. It’s done now and everythings’s nice and clean.

Apologies to those who follow my blog via email – you had to suffer a little. But you can now take a deep breath – it’s over.

There are still a couple of project pages left to clean up, but I’ll do that later as Kiel Week is starting next Friday and it’s time again for some ‘Shots of the day’ – I’ll try my best.

Flower Power

Another visit to the Botanical Gardens yesterday and a great batch of new shots –

 

The unusual blue-green one is a jade vine which is currently blooming in the greenhouse. Hover over the pictures for the other names.