No sewing on Saturday, but yesterday I chose and cut the fabrics for the border units. Most of the pieces will only be slightly visible after the binding has been attached. I wonder if some pieces will be needed at all because they are beyond the sewing line in the pattern. We’ll see.
Wheel IV: I’ve added a pentagon each at the left and bottom as well as two pentagons and a narrow diamond in the top right corner, all made from the striped teal fabric.
Wheel II: Four pentagons made from blue fabric with a bamboo leaf pattern are already at the bottom and right of the wheel, although you can also use fabrics similar to those in wheels VI and II (yellow and orange in my project). I used the same blue fabric for the border unit (five pentagons) and added two narrow diamonds made from the light blue of the stars.
Wheel IX: I thought this one could use a little colour and made three pentagons and a triangle from some purple and yellow fabric I pulled out of my Pile of Uglies. Never thought I would use this one, but it works in this place.
Bottom between wheels XV, XVI and XVIII: Two pentagons and two diamonds from the rusty red fabric I’ve already used for the stars in wheel XIV.
Wheel XIV: Two pentagons from the rosewood fabric and four pentagons and a diamond from the pink bamboo leaf pattern already used in this wheel.
Which leaves me with only one more wheel to make (XVII in the bottom left corner) plus two more border units. 🙂