Blackwork SAL

Jar of embroidery floss

I’ve completed my first blackwork piece. Avis of Oh Sew Tempting had run a blackwork SAL at her blog and I thought I’d give it a try. The project is now complete, but you can still go over and stitch if you like. The gallery is kept open for new entries.

For my project, I just took what was at hand: my last piece of leftover Aida fabric and a little jar of embroidery floss. I had bought the floss in a sale. Seems it was from a couple of kits that the shop had taken apart, as they sold only the knotted floss like it usually comes in kits. I think I only paid 50 Euro cents each (approx 45 p / 65 c US).

As the fabric was 12 ct. Aida I used two strands instead of one.

These are the results after each week of stitching –

week 1

week 2

week 3

week 4

week 5

week 6

I’ve not decided yet what to use it for. Maybe it fits into my book project. This is something that’s currently in a very early planning stage so be patient.

But it was so much fun that I’m thinking of an original blackwork project (not a SAL yet, sorry) and I’m doing some research currently (during which I also have discovered a certain weak spot for canvaswork – must try).


2 thoughts on “Blackwork SAL

Comments are closed.