Welcome to the next part of Fixed! Friday.
Today I almost went straight home after work, just a little shopping at the local delicatessen (aka Aldi) for the weekend. I’ve still got a little bit of sewing to do because I’m expecting a ‘customer’ on the weekend.
To get in the mood for this week’s project, I’ve put on a collection of songs called The Sound of Africa.
The plan was this: Make a project of various African-style strips. After a while I gave this up because I didn’t like the design anymore. I took some of the strips apart and made small panels which I appliquéd onto backing fabrics. I combined them with various other stuff – on this one I used some Japanese sashiko quilting found in Kumiko Sudo’s Fabled Flowers. (Which reminds me – some great projects I wanted to do from that one, too.)
Made between July and August 2003, this piece measures 51,5 x 64 cms. The panel is made of 120 pieces. Completing the project took 16’15 hours. The fabrics are cottons and a cotton/polyester blend for the back (a lighter green than the front), and I used perle cotton for the sashiko and hemming.
If you look closely, you might notice I used the green fabric from the wrong side. A little accident while cutting the fabric, as it sometimes happens. 🙂
Next week on Fixed! Friday: Out Of Africa IV